Pages

Friday, March 3, 2017

Five for Friday - March 3rd

It's time for another Five for Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching!! Thanks for the linky!
Read Across America-Dr. Seuss Day
Although we didn't celebrate this week like other schools do :( I still threw in a few Dr. Seuss things this week! The Lorax and How the Grinch Stole Christmas are probably my all time favorites! We also did a throw back to the time I went to Dr. Seuss Land at Universal Studios Orlando!
Yes I did take a picture of the trashcan!! It's my favorite Dr. Seuss quote!

We are reaching the end of 3rd quarter so that means end of quarter tests! My students this year learn best in a small group setting so to review for tests we are doing math stations! Our big focus this quarter was on multiplication, division, and area and perimeter. Grab these No Prep Area and Perimeter Printables to use in your classroom!
I also created some new station signs using Teaching in a Small Town's Chevron Letters to go with my Math Station board! I think they are very fitting to my name!! I grabbed the Math Stations from  That Teaching Spark and it has been a lifesaver! My students know exactly where to go and who they are going with!
I don't know about you, but opening up a new pair of markers or pens is like Christmas to me! I never want to take them out of the pack!
We just read "Smudge Face" A Native American Cinderella Story in our guided reading groups so of course we had to compare and contrast with the original Cinderella story. We also threw in a few other versions of Cinderella some I've never heard of. We were comparing and contrasting it up!  Here are some read- alouds for other versions of "Cinderella" stories!
We also talked about how a lot of fairy tales have been made into different stories. Same plot, but different details, characters, setting, etc. So I had students create their own versions of different fairy tales! 
A project of mine has been working on getting all of my task cards laminated, but I was lacking ideas on how to store them. That was until I saw an Instagram post by Two Teachers in Fifth using these picture boxes!
 I am so excited to say that I have put in my order on Amazon and they will be at my door in a few days!

Thanks for stopping by! I will leave you with a picture of my sweet Sophie! She went to a dog park for the very first time and she is exhausted!! This is her "No more selfies Mom" face!



6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the Cinderella idea! I used to do that type of study with my third graders! We have done Cinderella and Jack and the Bean Stalk versions. It's a great way to compare and contrast! We also added a movie for one of them one year and compared that to the books. Have a great weekend!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is my first year teaching reading so I am trying to come up with some fun activities to do with them!

      Delete
  2. I'm from Georgia too, Erin! And yes!! Our 3rd-5th grade teachers are busy getting the kids prepped and ready for testing. Looks like you're doing a fantastic job!! Linda Groce- Linda's Learning Loot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I don't run into a lot of people from Georgia in the blogger world!

      Delete
  3. One of my dogs is a Sophie, too ;) I did a PBL about Cinderella around the world once...one of my favorite projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Sophie's are great! My kids loved reading the different versions of Cinderella from different countries!

      Delete