Pages

Friday, August 26, 2016

Five for Friday - August 26

It's the beginning of the school year and I'm trying to get back in the swing of things and that means blogging as well. This will be my first Five for Friday of the new school year. Thanks Doodle Bugs Teaching for hosting another linky. 


I'm trying out a few new things this year and a homework club is one of them. Instead of students getting punishments for not doing their homework because let's face it they'd much rather be at football practice or dance class. I check homework every morning and I have a set of numbers for each student on the board. If the student did not do their homework then they have to take their number off of the board. At the end of the week, they get a treat if their number is still on the board. So far so good! I'd love to hear how you handle homework in your classroom. 


Our math focus for the last two weeks have been rounding to the nearest tens and hundreds! We started our rounding unit with The Duck Story by Gail Englert! If you're not familiar with The Duck Story you can check it out here. It's a great tool for visual and kinesthetic learners. I had students acting out the story, but I forgot to take pictures so here is our Wall-E robot crossing the road!




I have always wanted a class pet, but I could never decide what kin d of animal to get. Anyone that know me knows I looooove turtles and elephants cue pictures of me on my honeymoon at Atlantis in the Bahamas!! I was obsessed with the sea turtles! 



I know the elephant as a class pet is a little far fetched  ;) so for now meet our class pet, Ellie the Plastic Elephant!


It's the beginning of the year and everyone knows that's a fresh start for everything including teaching rules and procedures! My class this year is struggling a little remembering our classroom procedures no matter how many times I remind and model for them! So I'd love to here from other teachers to see how you make your classroom procedures stick! 


In love with my new Bulletin board!! Thanks Target!! Check out some more pictures of my finished classroom here in my last blog post!



I'll leave you with a little Friday meme! 
Image result for teacher friday meme
Happy Friday y'all!! I can't wait to read your comments and feedback!

4 comments:

  1. Teaching the classroom rules is always a long process. Hang in there and remember positive reinforcement works best.

    Sue
    The Very Busy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I enjoyed reading about your week. Love the new class pet :) I am sure Ellie will be low maintenance!
    Rules and procedures s a tricky one, my advice is to just keep repeating (you end up sounding like a broken record!). Have you also tried giving the kids classroom scenarios and having them say what they would do based on the class rule and procedures? Search "Class Rules Scenario Cards" in TPT and loads pop up!
    All the best, Tess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I joke with my class that I need to make a recording of myself saying the rules and procedures and put it on repeat for the whole day! We've sort of talked out some scenarios and what they should do when that happens, but I will definitely check that out!
      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I started rounding this week as well. We did addition the first week and will do subtracting next week. I found an amazing rounding hundreds and thousands chart that helped my kiddos so much. We did the number line too. I'm going to blog about tonight sometime.

    ReplyDelete